In the beginning...
I was just a girl in love. Not with a person; with a red KitchenAid mixer. The moment I laid eyes on it, I knew we were meant to be.
A few months after this epic romance began, I wanted to do something special for my friend Holly's 30th birthday. Since everyone knows that sugar is the surest way to a woman's heart, I decided to make her the most outrageous cake I could imagine. It was giant: five towering layers, with five different colors of frosting, and a musical lotus flower candle on top that shot sparks, twirled around and played 'Happy Birthday’.
Two things happened after I brought that cake to Holly's party. The first thing- the important thing- was that Holly was happy. The second -the surprise thing- was that afterwards, people kept talking about the cake. They kept talking about how they had never tasted or seen anything like it. Wanna know how to instantly become to most popular person at the party? Free cake.
Fast forward a few months, and Bon Vivant Cakes was born. Birthday cakes turned into creative cakes for all types of celebrations: wedding cakes, graduation cakes, baby shower cakes, bridal shower cakes, sweet 16 cakes, quinceanera cakes. Bon Vivant has even started hosting private parties and workshops on cake decorating.
Creating unique, personalized, and delicious cakes is Bon Vivant’s top priority. When you order a cake from me, get ready to dish: I want to know your hobbies, your passions, and your favorite band so that I can blast it in my kitchen while I'm baking your cake.
Ever artful and always fondant-free, Bon Vivant exclusively uses swiss meringue buttercream. There's no better frosting in my book. Swiss meringue buttercream is not too sweet, silky smooth (never grainy), and can be flavored with almost anything. Aside from that, I use basically anything for cake decorations: edible lace, cookies, flowers, handcrafted chocolate crowns, lollipops, and lots of sprinkles.
Bon Vivant’s custom cakes make a statement of lavishness that are almost too beautiful to eat— almost.
5 things to know about Emily
1. Sugar freak. Food freak. All around freak. BUT- it works in your favor. I'm the kind of person who will spend waaaay too much time staring at your cake, moving a piece of candy a little to the left, a liiiittle to the right, on account of aforementioned freakishness.
2. FONDANT FREE AND PROUD. Now, I've seen bakers do INCREDIBLE sculpture with fondant and I'm always so impressed, but let's be honest: fondant does not exactly excel in the taste department.
3. When I'm not baking cakes, I'm singing with my band, Celine Neon. When I'm not performing with Celine Neon, I'm working on various DIY art projects. And when I finally get a moment to myself, I'm sitting on the couch in front of the TV, swearing that I'll go to the gym and finish that non-fiction book I started in 2012.
4. With zero experience, my mom opened a mediterranean restaurant when she was 50 and is basically CRUSHING IT. She would be so embarrassed if she knew I was writing about her because she is very humble & pragmatic but all my culinary gifts are from her. My father, on the other hand, will be THRILLED that I am writing about him, because he is a Fancy Persian Man with Pizzaz & Charm. He's where I get my eye for design- though he's an engineer, his food plating skills are Michelin-level. Neither of them will ever know, though, because they are still learning The Internet.
5. Bi-coastal, baby! That is, if you consider Chicago a coast (AND I DO.) I spend a good amount of time in Los Angeles, so keep an eye out for Bon Vivant in LA!